Kave Favetti, president of the Westwood Park Homeowners Association, reported this week that there has been an increase of criminal activity in the neighborhood. Check out her tips to keep you and your property safe.
I have been informed that in the past 10 days that a neighbor’s car was stolen, a burglary occurred on Eastwood and an attempted burglary occurred on Faxon The car was found and returned to the owner. The attempted burglary was thwarted by the property owner who called 911.In both cases of burglary, there was a forced entry. The side door was knocked in.Both Ingleside and Taraval Police Stations have been notified. If you have information about these incidents, contact Officer Marie-France Conceicao atHere are some tips to help prevent breakins:
- Make sure your doors and windows are locked, particularly when you leave the house.
- Determine what locks to use by contacting a certified locksmith who can recommend a lock that matches your needs. Our neighbor, Jeff Lorton, told me that Consumer Reports recommends Medeco Maxum deadbolt. It is the only residential lock they have tested that cannot be picked, hammered, drilled, and are resistant to crowbars.(http://www.medeco.
- Replace any hollow core doors that are easy to kick in with solid core doors.
- Have a security alarm installed.
- Have a neighbor or friend keep an eye on your house when you are away.
- Keep a radio on when you are not at home and invest in timers to turn your lights on at night .
- Get to know your neighbors and set up a neighborhood watch. San Francisco Safe www.sfsafe.org provides information on home security assessments and setting up a Neighborhood Watch for your block.
- Report any suspicious activity to the police.